1. Cut Back on Sugars and Starches
The most important part is to cut back on sugars and starches (carbs).
These are the foods that stimulate secretion of insulin the most. If you didn’t know already, insulin is the main fat storage hormone in the body.
When insulin goes down, fat has an easier time getting out of the fat stores and the body starts burning fats instead of carbs.
Another benefit of lowering insulin is your kidneys shed excess sodium and water out of your body, which reduces bloat and unnecessary water weight.
It is not uncommon to lose up to 10 pounds (sometimes more) in the first week of eating this way, both body fat and water weight.
Cut the carbs, lower your insulin and you will start to eat fewer calories automatically and without hunger.
Put simply, lowering your insulin puts fat loss on “autopilot.”
Removing sugars and starches (carbs) from your diet will lower your insulin levels, kill your appetite and make you lose weight without hunger.
2. Eat Protein, Fat and Vegetables
Each of your meals should include a protein source, a fat source and low-carb vegetables. Constructing your meals in this way will automatically bring your carb intake into the recommended range of 20-50 grams per day.
- Meat – Beef, chicken, pork, lamb, bacon, etc.
- Fish and Seafood – Salmon, trout, shrimps, lobsters, etc.
- Eggs – Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs are best.
- The importance of eating plenty of protein cannot be overstated.
This has been shown to boost metabolism by 80 to 100 calories per day.
High protein diets can also reduce obsessive thoughts about food by 60%, reduce desire for late-night snacking by half, and make you so full you automatically eat 441 fewer calories per day… just by adding protein to your diet.
When it comes to losing weight, protein is the king of nutrients. Period.
- Brussels Sprouts
- Swiss Chard
Don’t be afraid to load your plate with these low-carb vegetables. You can eat massive amounts of them without going over 20-50 net carbs per day.
A diet based on meat and vegetables contains all the fiber, vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy. There is no physiological need for grains in the diet.
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
Eat 4-5 meals per day (eat every 2-3 hours) If you find yourself hungry in the afternoon, add a 6th meal.
Don’t be afraid of eating fats, trying to do both low-carb AND low-fat simultaneously is a recipe for failure. It will make you feel miserable and abandon the plan.
The best cooking fat to use is coconut oil. It is rich in fats called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). These fats are more fulfilling than others and can boost metabolism slightly. Benefits of Taking Coconut Oil
There is no reason to fear these natural fats, new studies show that saturated fat doesn’t raise your heart disease risk at all.
Assemble each meal out of a protein source, a fat source and a low-carb vegetable. This will put you into the 20-50 gram carb range and drastically lower your insulin levels.
3. Lift Weights 3 Times Per Week
You don’t need to exercise to lose weight on this plan, but it is recommended.
The best option is to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Do a warm up, lift weights, then stretch.
If you’re new to the gym, ask a trainer for some advice.
By lifting weights, you will burn a few calories and prevent your metabolism fprom slowing down, a common side effect of losing weight.
Studies on low-carb diets show you can even gain a bit of muscle while losing significant amounts of body fat.
If lifting weights is not an option for you, then doing some easier cardio workouts like running, jogging, swimming or walking will suffice.
It is best to do some sort of resistance training like weight lifting. If that is not an option, cardio workouts work too.
Optional – Do a “Carb Re-feed” Once Per Week
You can take one day “off” per week where you eat more carbs. Many people prefer Saturday.
It is important to try to stick to healthier carb sources like oats, rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits, etc.
But only this one higher carb day, if you start doing it more often than once per week then you’re not going to see much success on this plan.
If you must have a cheat meal and eat something unhealthy, then do it on this day.
Be aware that cheat meals or carb refeeds are NOT necessary, but they can up-regulate some fat burning hormones like leptin and thyroid hormones.
You will gain some weight during your re-feed day, but most of it will be water weight and you will lose it again in the next 1-2 days.
Having one day of the week where you eat more carbs is perfectly acceptable, although not necessary.
What About Calories and Portion Control?
It is unnecessary to count calories as long as you keep the carbs very low and stick to protein, fat and low-carb vegetables.
The main goal is to keep carbs under 20-50 grams per day and get the rest of your calories from protein and fat.
It is unnecessary to count calories to lose weight on this plan. It is most important to strictly keep your carbs in the 20-50 gram range.
10 Weight Loss Tips to Make Things Easier (and Faster)
Here are 10 more tips to lose weight even faster:
1. Eat a high-protein breakfast. Eating a high-protein breakfast has been shown to reduce cravings and calorie intake throughout the day.
2. Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice. These are the most fattening things you can put into your body, and avoiding them can help you lose weight.
3. Drink water a half hour before meals. One study showed that drinking water a half hour before meals increased weight loss by 44% over 3 months.
4. Choose weight loss-friendly foods Certain foods are very useful for losing fat. Weight Loss Foods You’ll Want to keep on Hand
5. Eat soluble fiber. Studies show that soluble fibers may reduce fat, especially in the belly area. Fiber supplements like glucomannan can also help. Weight Loss Supplements
6. Drink coffee or tea. If you’re a coffee or tea drinker, then drink as much as you want as the caffeine in them can boost your metabolism by 3-11%.
7. Eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods. Base most of your diet on whole foods. They are healthier, more filling and much less likely to cause overeating.
8. Eat your food slowly. Fast eaters gain more weight over time. Eating slowly makes you feel more full and boosts weight-reducing hormones.
9. Use smaller plates. Studies show that people automatically eat less when they use smaller plates. Strange, but it works.
10. Get a good night’s sleep, nightly. Poor sleep is one of the strongest risk factors for weight gain, so taking care of your sleep is important. Insomnia (Sleeping without Pills)
It is most important to stick to the three rules, but there are a few other things you can do to speed things up.
How Fast You Will Lose (and Other Benefits)
You can expect to lose 5-10 pounds of weight (sometimes more) in the first week, then consistent weight loss after that.
I can personally lose 3-4 lbs per week for a few weeks when I do this strictly.
If you’re new to dieting, then things will probably happen quickly. The more weight you have to lose, the faster you will lose it.
For the first few days, you might feel a bit strange. Your body has been burning carbs for all these years, it can take time for it to get used to burning fat instead.
It is called the “low carb flu” and is usually over within a few days. For me it takes 3. Adding some sodium to your diet can help with this, like dissolving a bouillon cube in a cup of hot water and drinking it.
After that, most people report feeling good, positive and energetic. At this point you will officially have become a “fat burning beast.”
Despite the decades of anti-fat hysteria, the low-carb diet also improves your health in many other ways:
- Blood Sugar tends to go way down on low-carb diets.
- Triglycerides tend to go down
- Small, dense LDL (the bad) Cholesterol goes down.
- HDL (the good) cholesterol goes up.
- Blood pressure improves significantly and to top it all off, low-carb diets appear to be easier to follow than low-fat diets. Controlling High Blood Pressure
You can expect to lose significant weight, but it depends on the person how quickly it will happen. Low-carb diets also improve your health in many other ways.
You Don’t Need to Starve Yourself to Lose Weight
If you have a medical condition then talk to your doctor before making changes because this plan can reduce your need for medication.
By reducing carbs and lowering insulin levels, you change the hormonal environment and make your body and brain “want” to lose weight.
This leads to drastically reduced appetite and hunger, eliminating the main reason that most people fail with conventional weight loss methods.
This is proven to make you lose about 2-3 times as much weight as a typical low-fat, calorie restricted diet.
Another great benefit for the impatient folks is the initial drop in water weight can lead to a big difference on the scale as early as the next morning.
On this plan, you can eat good food until fullness and still lose a ton of fat. Welcome to paradise.
Article Written by: Kris Gunnars, BSc
Articles used as reference:
ON A PERSONAL NOTE:
I have been following a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for 5 months now and I have lost 70 pounds! The program I follow is very similar to this except part of it is done for you with convenient prepackaged foods and 2 meals a day of protein and vegetables. It has been so easy and successfully for me to lose weight. Having chronic illness and chronic pain I don’t have to think about it, shop, or prepare except for my two meals a day. When I’m having a bad day I eat an additional prepackaged meal and only prepare one meal a day. For more information on this program and pictures of my success go HERE.